Stress. That horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach or the reason you’re wide awake at 3am thinking about spread sheets. We all experience it from time to time and some of us are better at dealing with it than others. Knowing what triggers you can be a great help in avoiding anxious situations but sometimes it’s unavoidable.
This last year especially has been one long, difficult slog, from zoom fatigue, family sadness, fear of infection and everything else in between to add to our common and garden worry levels. Self-care has never been more needed whilst at the same time, seemingly unattainable, with restaurants, shops and gyms being closed for so long.
So what can we do?
Self-care can, and must, start at home. There are the easy wins with an extra glass of wine with dinner and a family sized bar of choc in the cupboard, but it’s also a mindset of allowing yourself time to relax and work through your feelings instead of ignoring them. We’ve come up with some top tips to help you unwind and deal with stress in a healthy, effective way.
- Exercise is a great way to relieve tension and keep healthy at the same time. A brisk walk or a longer amble can give you the time you need to work through things in your mind. Then once you’re home a jump in the hot shower with our Lemongrass & crushed ginger body wash is the perfect way to relax your muscles.
- Giving someone a big hug! At the moment it’s only members of your immediate family but you can send one of our 'Big Hug' Lemongrass & Crushed ginger candle tins instead and feel the love from far away.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Go up earlier than usual and spend some time winding down beforehand. Read a book, listen to some music or practice a mindfulness exercise before slowly drifting off into deep, relaxing sleep.
- Declutter a part of your home. Even if it's just the random drawer! Once it’s tidy, pop our Sea salt and Woodsage Reed Diffuser in place and keep it feeling fresh for weeks afterwards.
- Make yourself a delicious meal with all your favourite things, including a luxury pudding. Set the table with all the good placemats and glassware, taking time to really enjoy the meal as if you were out and about.
- Talk it out. Chat to your friends or family about how you’re feeling and plan some activities for when lockdown is finally over. Get yourself a 'Sunday Funday' black pomegranate candle tin to remind you that good times are just around the corner.
Share your well being tips. We love hearing about your tips too! Head on over to our social pages and share with our fabulous community.